XJ Tires touching fenders

maze
Club Member
Club Member

Hey guys, i have an Xj 94model... i installed a lift kit 3inch and changed my rims to GTwheel 16 inch with stock wrangler size tires(245/75/16)! after changing the rims and tires now the wheels are touching the fenders(well i think its the fenders, i just hear the noise and i can see some marking the side wall of the tires) when off-roading.. was wondering whats the best solution? getting some fender flares would do the job or i need something else too?
Plus where is the best place to get fender flares?
Thanks in advance
Sandskull
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi Maze,

What i have learned from our senior XJers is that no matter if you change the fenders or lift, 15" is the best size. Considering myself at a very early learning stage, someone with more experience may answer you even better here. From which i am also waiting to learn more:003:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

It depends on shocks and your driving style.

If your shocks are soft and not according to spec of your car, you'll be touching.

If your driving style supports jumping, you'll be touching always.
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi

The rubbing on the side wall, is it on the inside wall?

Some lift kits require the wheel to stick out more.... Less back spacing.

The recommended 15" GT wheel has a 3.75" back spacing. This is the distance from the inside edge of the rim and the mounting surface of the rim.

Measure your 16" rim, it may be 4,5" or more. This will 'pull' the wheel in towards the suspension and body.

Have a look here:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Regards
Paul
maze
Club Member
Club Member

the touching is from the outside and the shocks are new and not that soft on the dunes(rough country 3" kit)! with my original rims 15inch and tires it never touched so i kinda know its from the new rims and tires setup..the problem is i dont want to have to change both my rims and tires to solve this (i just got them)! im sure some guys are using 16 or even 17inch rims with bigger tires than mine on there Xj's without this problem.. and im wondering whats the solution
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maze, I'm still thinking, that you didn't understand properly, what we are talking about. You can take Rough Country xx" kit or XXX, but does it fit to your car spec? Many OEM are producing equipment to SUV 4x4, but if your chosen equipment is not fitting to your car, you might be lost. The same way, as you would like to fit the shocks from Tercel to LC...

Think twice before you do and compare the part numbers from OEM, if their fit to your VIN number.
FSL

there might be different solutions depending on the actual situation.
Are the tires touching the fenders from the top or left/right side?

if it's the sides I think either shave the fender or use a small tire. if it's from top may be lift a bit more :011:

Don't take my word for a pro, I'm just sharing what I think. Check with the guys at Almost4x4 Garage. I'm sure they will have a perfect solution for you.
maze
Club Member
Club Member

Hey Capri, i get what u mean now but i did double check part number and confirmed with rough country etc.. and without a doubt that kit was made for my XJ! reading up on other forums it seems to be a problem that comes up but was hoping to get some advice from some one here that has been through the same problem or knows how to solve it...
maze
Club Member
Club Member

it's usually happening while my steering is turned left or right and not from the top mostly from the side... i didnt know there was a almost4x4 garage? where are there contacts and details?and thanx FSL
Sandskull
Intermediate
Intermediate

maze;23638 wrote:it's usually happening while my steering is turned left or right and not from the top mostly from the side... i didnt know there was a almost4x4 garage? where are there contacts and details?and thanx FSL
Almost4x4 Service Center Details: http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... ice+centre