FJ Cruiser Cutting the Rear Tyres

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Unfortunately, I don't have camera (Gopro) but I would suggest to take some footage, when camera is mount from the back and to make some experiments, to see, what's going on in this rear part.
NaSeR
Golden Member
Golden Member

caprihorse;20619 wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have camera (Gopro) but I would suggest to take some footage, when camera is mount from the back and to make some experiments, to see, what's going on in this rear part.
I will try to make some videos from this angle next time. Will the wider tires/Rims will cause this issue?
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

NaSeR;20620 wrote:I will try to make some videos from this angle next time. Will the wider tires/Rims will cause this issue?
Definitely, as the shock is jumping up and down and wider tyres are more exposed to be hit. I'm very much curious to see the final video.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is a picture of the FJ's rear axle from the front:

You can see that the entire wheel will move together with the shocks, since the shock mount is fixed to the axle that is connected to the wheel. It will take a very very flexible and rubbery tire to touch the shock mount before a pop-out, even if deflated greatly.

Moreover, it would more sense that the front of the shock where the Bolt is is responsible for the damage in the tire because of the tire rotation direction. The lower side where the bolt's head is will come in contact with the tire much before the higher rear end.

In any case, this part is too low and there is already a product to protect it.. check out this link:
https://www.allprooffroad.com/fjtrailar ... hock-skids

Here is a picture of a damaged Shock Mount from the side,,,
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi Guys

In the 2nd of DL's pictures you can see the hand brake cable support.

On the pictures that Capri posted, that was the bracket that was mangled and covered in rubber bits.

It also lines up with the cuts in the tire.

Possibly after a pop out, the entire tire goes inwards the 3cm required to touch the bracket.

Regards
Paul
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

DL, your pictures looks a bit different as I saw it on other models, mainly the yellow shock. In the situation, there was this 'knife' from the bracket that caused this, based on my opinion, not the bolt, as it is higher. You're right, that shock and rim are fixed permanently, but I'm talking about, that tyre has variable movement and extreme situation it is touching the 'knife'.

Still, let's wait on video from Naser...
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

pwood;20683 wrote:Hi Guys

In the 2nd of DL's pictures you can see the hand brake cable support.

On the pictures that Capri posted, that was the bracket that was mangled and covered in rubber bits.

It also lines up with the cuts in the tire.

Possibly after a pop out, the entire tire goes inwards the 3cm required to touch the bracket.

Regards
Paul
I think that hand brake support is too soft metal and too small, to cut the tyre so deeply. Imagine if you would do it with your hand and knife, you would need a lot of power, to cut the tyre, with all these metal support on the tyre itself. Additionally from the practice, it's very difficult to get the pop-out on the rear tyre, unless you do very stupid things ...
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

This really is intriguing happened once with us on a drive. Didn't give it much thought. Will check with the US FJ forum on this
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

caprihorse;20736 wrote:I think that hand brake support is too soft metal and too small, to cut the tyre so deeply. Imagine if you would do it with your hand and knife, you would need a lot of power, to cut the tyre, with all these metal support on the tyre itself. Additionally from the practice, it's very difficult to get the pop-out on the rear tyre, unless you do very stupid things ...

I have witnessed first hand the hand brake mount ripping a tire on one of our trips (Crocodile Lake). Falcon was the lead at that time, and the FJ had what we thought initially a pop-out. However, it turned out that once the pop-out happened, the tire was mangled in and got cought with the hand brake mount from the side opposite the bolt. The mount tab was bent and acted as a knife ripping the tire open. We used a hammer to bend it back to place first then fixed the spare tire on.

As for the video, I think we need to mount the camera under the FJ towards the tire and capture the action. Shooting from a second car would probably not be good enough. Since I went under the FJ yesterday, there are plenty of space and hooking points that can be used for that :011:
fida
Advance
Advance

I will Post the exact point' s picture tomorrow as i was the victim of this FJ manufacturing flaw. It happened when I was side cresting on a small dune but due to extreme angle, the tyre's inner part was cut. Y