Tires opinion needed!

AvioEngineer

Good Day to you guys!

I'm a former "Newbie" position in this club but after the website crash incident. I didn't get to join on a trip since then due to tight schedule. Anyway I made this thread to ask for opinions on the tires that I could replace on my car. This thread though can go to anyone and it will be highly appreciated! :045:

So here's the story, got a Michelin "Cross terrain" 275/70/17 above a year ago. But it appears to have some of cracks, some are deep and most are like those wore out tires. I assumed this is maybe from deflating and inflating(?) and maybe from hitting the curves of the sidewalks. :023: So we decided to replace the tires, and this is where we need some opinions to settle our minds. Searched the forum for some other opinion, but its either FJs, Jeeps, Pajeros. So I made this for Nissan lovers. :011:
-------------

Car : Nissan Patrol VTC 4.8 (LWB)
Current : 275/70/17 Michelin "Cross Terrain"
Modifications : Will it make a difference if the car has some?
-------------

Initial Plans:
Rim size: 16 Inch

All Terrains
- BF Goodrich AT
- Yokohama Geolander AT-S
- Cooper Discoverer AT3

Highway Terrains
- Cooper Discoverer HT
That's all i can think of for HT

Suggestions are Open, please do suggest any on your mind.
------

So here are the questions:

• I am not entirely sure but I heard that AT kind of tires is a not recommended for heavy weight car, which is of course this Patrol?
  • I also have plans on increasing the size of it, 32 inch or wider? If ever will i ever need to regear my rack and pinions or this only apply for the Jeeps?

That's all I can think of at the moments! Thanks in Advance!
Sandskull
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi Avio,

Please check the link below about Mastercraft (Cooper brand)...might be helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1817
AvioEngineer

Sandskull;19832 wrote:Hi Avio,

Please check the link below about Mastercraft (Cooper brand)...might be helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1817
Thanks! Will check on it now.
desert_hawk
Intermediate
Intermediate

Reducing the rim size and going for all terrain are a good idea, no need to rehear for your car for slightly bigger size, cooper is very good choice with good feedback
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi

The metric and imperial tire sizes does create a lot of confusion.
You current 275 x 70 x 17 converts to 32,2 x 10,8 x 17.

So a 32" is actually slightly smaller.

Also remember, so of the manufactures sizes are not 100% accurate in real life.

When going to a smaller rim, you need to check it clears the brake callipers, suspension arm and steering rods.

On any rim change, you need to check the back spacing/offset.
Check out this:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech ... lletin=s10

If going for a wider tire on the stock rim, you need to check you don't get rubbing on the inside wall and wheel arch or steering arms.
If going for a bigger tire, you need to check the tire won't touch the cars wheel arch when the suspension is 'bottomed out' or when turning the steering wheel.

Sorry, no actual tire info, just some things to consider.

Regards
Paul
AvioEngineer

desert_hawk;19834 wrote:Reducing the rim size and going for all terrain are a good idea, no need to rehear for your car for slightly bigger size, cooper is very good choice with good feedback
Reducing the Rim is really a must for this car. Btw which Cooper? the AT3 or the HT? Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
AvioEngineer

pwood;19836 wrote:Hi

The metric and imperial tire sizes does create a lot of confusion.
You current 275 x 70 x 17 converts to 32,2 x 10,8 x 17.

So a 32" is actually slightly smaller.

Also remember, so of the manufactures sizes are not 100% accurate in real life.

When going to a smaller rim, you need to check it clears the brake callipers, suspension arm and steering rods.

On any rim change, you need to check the back spacing/offset.
Check out this:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech ... lletin=s10

If going for a wider tire on the stock rim, you need to check you don't get rubbing on the inside wall and wheel arch or steering arms.
If going for a bigger tire, you need to check the tire won't touch the cars wheel arch when the suspension is 'bottomed out' or when turning the steering wheel.

Sorry, no actual tire info, just some things to consider.

Regards
Paul
I actually made a mistake on that, it's 275/65/17!
Around 31.1". But still appreciated the guide that you've given! Will consider those on the upcoming set up.

The 16" rim is actual stock rims for this car. Probably no problems on that!

Thanks!
desert_hawk
Intermediate
Intermediate

AvioEngineer;19842 wrote:Reducing the Rim is really a must for this car. Btw which Cooper? the AT3 or the HT? Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Both are good, I prefer the AT3, as I said I tried both, the AT3 did me better than the HT and still happy with them :D
AvioEngineer

desert_hawk;19846 wrote:Both are good, I prefer the AT3, as I said I tried both, the AT3 did me better than the HT and still happy with them :D
I see, may i know what car did you use the AT3 for? I would like to compare if its a nissan.
desert_hawk
Intermediate
Intermediate

AvioEngineer;19857 wrote:I see, may i know what car did you use the AT3 for? I would like to compare if its a nissan.
FJ all the way ;)