Enough Fuel capacity with FJ-Cruiser

jdemay
Club Member
Club Member

Hi All,

I'm going for Eid with a bunch of friends to cross the Wahiba Sands in Oman. We will have a strech of 200kms between gas stations, with 150KM of Off-Road (dunes, etc). Given that the FJ has a Fuel tank capacity of 75L, do you think I need to plan to bring additional fuel ? or should it be okay ? I normally do 450kms with a full tank, but I know that your mileage takes a turn downward when Driving Off-Road. My Mates have bigger cars with bigger tanks, hence me asking.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

At least you should keep 20 liter Jerry cane of petrol. Consumption depends upon the nature of sand you would be traveling in and the Rev. of your engine plus your driving style in desert.
Even with the big Tanks it is advisable to keep Extra fuel,,,,, better to sit in middle of nowhere with no fuel TO HAVE SOMETHING EXTRA AND HAVE PEACE OF MIND.

TAKE 20 LITER MINIMUM WITH YOU :))
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

I agree with DC.... You have to have a jerry cane ... in off-road it is calculated the consume 40 L for every 100 km. It depends on your driving & the terrain too.... when you fill a 20 L jerry cane .. you need to fill it with 18 L max to give the fuel a chance to expand by heat otherwise it is going to spill in your car ... in UAE 31 dhs = 18 L.
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Normally, practice is showing that FJ is having the consumption around 40 litres per 100 km in standard dunes off-road. If there is a problem on the way and you need to be a pulling car several times or steep climbs or on the way or the terrain may be classified as advanced, the consumption will definitely increase. So the advice is, before the trip make your homework and calculate your journey.

The petrol inside desert is extremely expensive...
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hehe, we were posting in the same time (Shamsi and me) :011:
jdemay
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks everyone. I got today a roof-rack, and will be buying tomorrow morning a flagpole. I'm planning to carry a 20L Jerry on the roof-rack.