How to- safe cresting

Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am enlisting a few technique i am doing personally while cresting a dune. Expert drivers are requested to give their feed back what they consider are safe tricks for crossing a dune ridge.

1) never try cresting in purely new area..... First observe the area and profile of the dunes, check the sand softness and look for the trees or other obstacles you can encounter on the other side of the dune.If you are cresting in an area where the dune ridges are sharp and hard there are possibilities of roll overs as the sharp hard ridge will hit your car frame and with a fraction of second you can roll over,,,, personally i witnessed this happened to a fellow off roader in sweihan and he rolled over more than 8 times near nagra.

2) avoid cresting if you dont know what is there on the other side of the dune,,, how to check,,, keep the dune on your left side approach to the top and look at the other side, you can judge where it is safe to crest and how is the angle of the dune where you are going to land.

3) approach the height with a smooth angle, travel close to the top and observe,,,, once you are comfortable and think it is safe to crest then approach the ridge keeping your same side front and rear wheel parallel to the ridge,,, don't jump,, balance your car on the ridge,,,, travel on the ridge and then nose down with balance speed.

4) after cresting don't try to keep driving on the other side of the dune fighting gravity but safe to go down straight. Experience drivers can do what they wanna do on their own risk :))-

5) controlled speed is an important factor, if you are approaching with a very high speed most probably you will fly and can damage your car and also yourself or at least your ego:005:6)while driving in the area keep looking for nice cresting areas, and you can judge easily where it is safe to crest.

Ps: These are purely my observation which i learned looking at the experienced drivers, this thread is open for questions, additional info on the subject and objections,,,,, as learning is a curve and we learn each and every day from each others.Hope it will serve the purpose :008:
[CENTER]ImageImage[/CENTER]
Aemi
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks for this useful post.Can you post video clip to understand right or wrong cresting.
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

Keep tune Bhai.... supporting stuff ll be uploaded :))
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[video=youtube_share;mX0EsRTwHAE][/video]
fida
Advance
Advance

Excellent example. And nice explanation DC.
NaSeR
Golden Member
Golden Member

Few examples of cresting :011::011:

[video=youtube;zghllUnIfXI][/video]
Melfi
Golden Member
Golden Member

I actually thought that Transformer was going to roll over on the one posted by Caprihorse! :029:
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

Melfi;16085 wrote:I actually thought that Transformer was going to roll over on the one posted by Caprihorse! :029:
If it was a newbie then you were right :()
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Melfi;16085 wrote:I actually thought that Transformer was going to roll over on the one posted by Caprihorse! :029:
There are several viewing angles at cresting:
  1. From outside - others can see extreme angles of passing cars, at crests, and they think it's dangerous. I agree. From other angle they may see the last wheel of the car in the air, where the car disappears behind the crest and they may be scared to make the same...
  2. From inside - when the driver approaches the crest, he must know the right angle for climbing, the right speed at the right moment, stay few meters on the crest, look left and right, to feel under her/his ass how the gravity is playing with her/him and decide in fragments of milliseconds to go through or return back and make another circle/attempt.
The cresting is the most safest way, how to cross the dune:
  1. If you know, what is on the other side
  2. It doesn't affect the front suspension of the car compared with crossing the dune straight
  3. It doesn't make your stuff from back to be just in front and bottles and cans to be between the pedals
  4. Once you climb the dune for cresting and you are at the top, on the crest, driving straight, with your car balanced horizontally, your stress will be relieved and you can GO DOWN (and this two words must be coded in your brain), in a very safe way
BTW, in this video, both cars did pass the crest in a safe way. It's just dramatic Googloid's voice, making the situation more attractive.
zeemmee

Thats how Modified drivers drive :011: Perfect!!

AMAZING VIDEO !! LOVED the actors & Caprihorse studios!! for bringing it to us.