Walkie Talkie

momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

cyanide;38383 wrote:Hmm interesting club name used in this scenario can be good or bad so have to choose wisely, but why leave radio in car its illegal to roam around with that thing in car. Take care guys leave radio at home once done with off-roading better be safe than sorry.:045:
Well, the staff at borders told me that they have good idea about safari tourist cars and off-roaders community of the country, and they know that radios are used in this field. So that made me more confident to talk about our club. And their response was very respectful and kind. As I mentioned, I forgot to take out equipment from my car and I guess it happens to an off-roader more than once in life time :innocent: and these gadgets have access to private government frequencies as mentioned in this thread. My post about this topic had two targets, first is awareness to other members and second to suggest member to update their profile pictures.

Hope to see you in the next drives @cyanide

Cheers
osman
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi,

If you want to buy a radio and need some advice for updated Dragon Mart shopping experience as of April 2016, please read on (as there is no update on this subject for a long time)...

I had my first club member drive yesterday, without a radio of my own, thinking to see what people use so I can make a bit more informed decision at the buying time (and thanks to Iskander for lending his spare one to me). Just after the event, I went to Dragonmart. If you are not a regular visitor like me, you will be assured you can get lost easily, and quickly find out the shop keepers do not know what they are selling.

First to know, the radio is banned in this country and your your options will be limited to what is sold in DM, your online order will most likely to be returned back from the customs.

Nearly all the shops I found they showed me two or three models of the radios with programmable frequencies (that is what is recommended by the club, "buy the one with the keypads"), mainly Motorola MT-777 (220AED) and Kenwood TK-UV3 (350AED). They do not have them on display but show you the manuals and if you want to buy, they say they will bring. Needless to say, they are all fake brands, you would not know what you would be getting. Further, you are not sure what frequency range as they come in different flavors per their manuals. Motorola ones show both VHF or UHF, you think it would be dual band but it is not, one or the other. Kenwood is advertised as dual band, but the manual had eight different frequency options to chose from. So, all confusing.

After visiting many shops I nearly give up, but by luck I entered one last shop and they showed me something different and she said "yes, we know almost 4x4". She showed me a BAOFENG UV-5R (200 AED) and another Motorola model (fake for sure and more expensive). Neither of these two radios were available in any other shops I visited. I decided to buy a genuine Chinese radio than a fake Chinese one. She also said she knows the frequencies that the club uses and she quickly preset all the 14 channels listed by Al Shamsi below in this post.

I checked the internet on the next day about the buy and there are good source of information you can find on reviews, programming and operations, just search youtube and google. The device is highly rated for its value (selling 30USD in amazon). As the manuals are piece of crap (this is true for all make and models), you would need the information you can find from the internet, at least in order to preset the channels. Some radio amateurs or pros in US, UK and NZ taking this device seriously and producing additional information on the web. This exercise made me think that I made the right choice as you would not be sure how accurate the information in the internet for the fake brands.

If you also like to buy the same radio, the shop is located one of the back aisles, the shop BAI13, close to the hardware/machinery shops. I also attached the shop photo and the radio itself hoping to assist the new buyers. I will buy a second one to have a pair so I can use for other occasions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2904[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2905[/ATTACH]

I hope this post helps my fellow drivers...

Cheers
Warning: Sand is addictive... and also the sea salt.
Red Baron
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi @osman,

Nice piece of information there. There are lot of discussion about the radios if you search more. The one you bought will do the job and I have seen the same among our members and some other friends. You don't need to worry about Chinese or genuine branded radios, if the one you have do the job stick to it. on the other hand chinese brands are cheap, amazingly have a good range also. if it breaks you can buy another one. So you made the right decision. And I recommend from my experience that you should keep a spare in case one decide to stop working.

There is a common famous Chinese model in the club and everywhere, called CRONY 888, I paid only 160dhm with the car charger, and it has clear sound, very good to me so far. (attached picture) I think other would agree too. Just for your information.

About the FRS channels mention below, are common FRS. but in Almost we have two private channels (that i know of), I think you got to know them during your club member drive last week. We do not use those common channels as I know. And make sure you have a car charger for your radio, it is kind of a must. And a headset also, will come in handy when you have to give clearance quickly as possible.

And most importantly from the manual you got with the radio or online or any source you like, read it and know the operations/options of your radio well. Seems like a small thing, but if it messes up during a drive you will be in big trouble.

Thanks for the shop details, appreciate it.

See you in the sand.

Cheers.[ATTACH=CONFIG]2906[/ATTACH]
R.B
dLemma
Intermediate
Intermediate

Red Baron;46534 wrote:Hi @osman,

There is a common famous Chinese model in the club and everywhere, called CRONY 888, I paid only 160dhm with the car charger, and it has clear sound, very good to me so far. (attached picture) I think other would agree too. Just for your information.
Hi all, I bought the radio in Dragon Mart 4 months ago, but car charger wasn't available. They told me in 2-3 weeks. Well, by now 4 months passed and the answer is still in 2-3 weeks :)

Has anyone idea where I can get a car charger for the Crony CN-888 other than Dragon Mart? I have 2 spare batteries, so not really an issue, but would like to get a car charger.

Thanks for your help
osman
Intermediate
Intermediate

dLemma;47371 wrote: Has anyone idea where I can get a car charger for the Crony CN-888 other than Dragon Mart? I have 2 spare batteries, so not really an issue, but would like to get a car charger.
Thanks for your help
Hi,

I guess the AC charger has a base and the car charger plugs to the socket on it. (At lest mine is like that). If you can see the marking, with voltage and polarity rating, you should be able to use one with the same rating. You might shop around and find something compatible..
Warning: Sand is addictive... and also the sea salt.
dLemma
Intermediate
Intermediate

osman;47372 wrote:Hi,

I guess the AC charger has a base and the car charger plugs to the socket on it. (At lest mine is like that). If you can see the marking, with voltage and polarity rating, you should be able to use one with the same rating. You might shop around and find something compatible..
Hi [MENTION=11239]osman[/MENTION],
unfortunately my AC charger is one unique piece (no plug-in cable), so it has a cable that goes straight into the wall socket.

I guess the car charger is like the traditional round pin (like the old Nokia phone chargers), but I don't have one at hand to check voltage/polarity.

Is there anyone in the forum that could check on his/her car charger what the voltage/polarity and connector shape/size are? Maybe taking a picture of the label and of the connector.

Thanks
Adam
Intermediate
Intermediate

dLemma;47371 wrote:Hi all, I bought the radio in Dragon Mart 4 months ago, but car charger wasn't available. They told me in 2-3 weeks. Well, by now 4 months passed and the answer is still in 2-3 weeks :)

Has anyone idea where I can get a car charger for the Crony CN-888 other than Dragon Mart? I have 2 spare batteries, so not really an issue, but would like to get a car charger.

Thanks for your help
Order it online. You can have spare parts delivered no problem and no questions asked. I have an original Baofeng which I purchased in Europe (note this is risky without a HAM license in the UAE) and bought all my accessories either locally or on Amazon.

On a personal note...I did buy a dragonmart special Kenwood and the battery lasts 1/5 compared to my Baofeng.
Red Baron
Intermediate
Intermediate

dLemma;47374 wrote:Hi @osman,
unfortunately my AC charger is one unique piece (no plug-in cable), so it has a cable that goes straight into the wall socket.

I guess the car charger is like the traditional round pin (like the old Nokia phone chargers), but I don't have one at hand to check voltage/polarity.

Is there anyone in the forum that could check on his/her car charger what the voltage/polarity and connector shape/size are? Maybe taking a picture of the label and of the connector.

Thanks
@dLemma,

Did you check everywhere in dragon mart, I'm surprised that you couldn't find any. Because there is no Crony car chargers, it is just a universal one they give. Anyway I will send you a pic tomorrow., if you hadn't got any yet.

RB
R.B