Desert Honeymoon Permit (Need Help)

walihali

It is hard to decide to get a second wife, but finally manage to get one. Now planning to have a permit to go for a honeymoon under the moon in the desert with ALMOSTers. Before that I really need a big help from you, ALMOSTers. Thanks in advance for that.

First of I would like to introduce her. She is from US, she is hot and temper. I do not how to control her temper. Easy to get angry, once she was angry and she fought me in the middle of the road in Abu Dhabi. Everyone was looking at us when I was fighting against her and it caused a little bit traffic jam. Some people even honked at us. It was a nightmare, well actually afternoonmare? Still, I love her actually I have to love her, I married her remember?

Her name is Cherokee, some people called her Jeeb (with b not p) Chorki or Jeeb Cherki, you can find it in dubizzle. Whatever they call, yes it is her only. My second wife.

I searched for threads in ALMOST4x4 forum archive that related to her and I found thread trail started by Speed last year I guess. It is very helpful. Thanks to Speed and ALMOSTers who shared their information related to her.

Yesterday I called Speed to get some more information about her. I decided to go to Sharjah as suggested by Speed, but here is the problem:
  • No contact of any Garage or Part Shop for her in Sharjah
  • No one help me to check her prior to go to garage
  • Basically I do not know what to do/check with her
But I have a clear purpose:
  • Wanted to cure her temper (over heating), maybe reducing her blood pressure or something.
  • Wanted her okay/healthy (a major service?)
Could you please help me ALMOSTers.

Thanks a lot,
walihali

Her Additional info:
  • US Spec, 2001, sport.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are asking for trouble dear friend, and the weather is not particularly nice to be wandering in Sharjah industrial area for things to buy and then fix.

i can provide some assistance but you need to tell me more about her symptoms. For overheating the list of cosmetics to buy includes:
1- New radiator (250 to 350 AED, 350 recommended)
2- New water pump (120 AED AC Delco)
3- New thermostat (60-90 AED)
4- Radiator hoses (100)
5- Coolant (you check)
6- 2 Subaru cooling fans to fix on radiator ( AED200)
7- Gear Oil Gasket and Filter and gear Olil (AED150)
You need to do an engine flush and engine oil change if not done yet.

This is about 1000AED excluding labor, but overheating will be dealt with for a long time.

I hope you have some mechanic close to you who can do the work, because doing it in Sharjah will take a long time...

Also it would be a good idea to take her to a mechanic to check the rubber bushings on the suspension system and the front sway bar, in case those need replacement, and check the wheel drums and brake system (front and rear) in case replacement parts needed.

Also get him to inspect the spark plugs and check the fuel line pressure (for fuel pump health)

Majore:: check if you have tow points front and back, the front one will cost about 250AED and if a rear trailer hitch is available it will be close to the 400 to 500 AED mark.. but recently I haven;t seen any in the Scrapyards... A skid plate for the front costs 100 AED from the scrap yard too. However, if the car's body is too rusty, it would be a nasty job fixing these on..

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't think about lifting the car just yet.. Capri would chew us alive after seasoning us with sand..
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like your scripting and DL's scripting very much, so I dedicate my comments to both of you in one shot.

In naming your wife, you abused her very much, because you misspelled the letters. Originally your wife was named PEEP and not as you mentioned it, so you are belonging now officially to the group of PEEPERS.

Overheating for Cherokee is a very generic problem, because of underestimated size of radiator and material used in this car, earlier developed by Chrysler concern and belonging now under Fiat (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino) umbrella, since May 2011.

Replacing the radiator with a new one, will not solve the problem totally, as you need also flush the whole engine with chemicals - Sharjah, BMW road, cca. 150 Dhs. Still there may be some channels in engine part get stuck with metal corrosion.

New water pump, yes, totally a must.

Thermostat, you don't need at all in this country, as the function of the thermostat is to wait for the engine part to be heated and then open the radiator. In this country, normally thermostat will open after 500 metres.

Radiator hoses are functioning like a digital system, they are sealed or not sealed. If OFF, you must be loosing coolant. Advice is to replace them be new.

Additional cooling fans, yes, as much as you can place in, even additional radiators as it is pictured here - http://www.drivingindubai.com/various/jeep_cooling.jpg

Of course, now I can say, lift your car by 2 metres at least, or don't lift at all. The decision is yours.

Regarding the garage, you can choose any garage in Sharjah, but pls check who is the main master there. Privately I can advise you, whom to visit.
delta83
Advance
Advance

dude... make your life easier and get a Nissan.... no headache what so ever in the relation hahaha
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

Fatima Jenine your Japanese first wife will kill you and your second wife for this ! She doesnt get along with anyone whose name starts with a J and ends with a P with two E's in the middle !
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

hi walihali .....

there are heavy duty aluminum radiators which you can have installed for the XJ .... cost is around 400aed installed ....... have these with 2 subaru fans (200-300aed) with a check on your water pump (if there is any sign of it bogging down ... have it replaced immediately and it will cost you around 300aed only)

the thermostat can be replaced to those of which turn on at 70 degrees (80aed) ...... or either have a bypass switch for your fans so you can turn them on as per your requirement ..... the thremostat body cover can easily be replace for a new one so that you can be sure there is no hair line gap or corroding in the thermostat area to ensure smooth flow of water in the engine.

as to where you can have it done is up to your own preference as there are a lot off cherokee masters here in the UAE

parts are readily available and fairly cheap as well

i would not recommend a lift as of yet because it would always be good to understand the limitations of your car and then assess accordingly of what you should do

question is ....... you were driving an FJ right? why the shift? :011:
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

caprihorse;10770 wrote:I like your scripting and DL's scripting very much, so I dedicate my comments to both of you in one shot.
I knew he *Capri* would target both of us; it is a chance this dude *Capri* :nightmare: will not miss. Fortunately, we are immune to the term PEEP because it has been used too much. The Jeep is a fine lady once you "cool her temp" down.

As for the thermostat, there are 2 sides. One side says you don't need it, so just get rid of it completely, and the other side says modify it. The modification can be done by either using a lower temp thermostat or alternatively, breaking the inside cap.
Since the jeep water cooling system is a closed one, where water pressure plays an important role, my personal preference is to use a modified thermostat. Mine is externally linked to the Aux Fan so the fan starts working even before the actual temp sensor is activated, but this is a custom job and normal mechanics don't do it.

Moreover, I forgot to mention in my earlier post about the aux fan and the aux gear oil cooler.
The aux fan should be checked by an competent individual, if faulty or dying it can be replaced by a chinese one for AED150. The original is over 1000AED so forget it.

The aux gear oil cooler is about AED100 from the scraps, and once installed helps cool your transmission oil, a very very important thing for the kind of load we put on our vehichles.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

wasif ahmed;10811 wrote:fatima jenine
i like :005:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Desert Lizard;10823 wrote:As for the thermostat, there are 2 sides. One side says you don't need it, so just get rid of it completely, and the other side says modify it. The modification can be done by either using a lower temp thermostat or alternatively, breaking the inside cap.
Since the jeep water cooling system is a closed one, where water pressure plays an important role, my personal preference is to use a modified thermostat. Mine is externally linked to the Aux Fan so the fan starts working even before the actual temp sensor is activated, but this is a custom job and normal mechanics don't do it.
I love the science and DL provoked me to answer or maybe there is not enough explanation in the above statement.

So returning back to the elementary school and physics studies, Mr. Pascal said once, a very long time ago, that the pressure is distributed equally in all directions. So the function of thermostat is, not only to release the pressure from the engine part, but also to get hot coolant as quickly as possible to the radiator, to be cooled by outside air. Engine part has around 90 degC (theory) and let's say in desert we may have 50 degC, which gives a certain gradient (40 degC) to properly cool down engine. Therefore every bottleneck in the coolant flow is a problem. If in theory we say that fully opened flow is 100%, with thermostat inside we can get only 90% of the full flow speed.
Additionally based on isothermal laws, in constant chamber (engine cooling system), with increasing temperature the pressure is also increased (the coolant is incompressible), so something may brake like fuse, hose or radiator tubes. In Peep, the engine temperatures are more-less the same as in other engines, but the cooling volume may be decreased by additional corrosion, so it is important to have normal full coolant flow through radiator, where thermostat is an obstacle in theory.
Thermostat was earlier introduced in cold countries, with outside temperatures below 0 degC, as the engines couldn't get properly working due to very low coolant temperature, and the thermostat was blocking the coolant flow, so the engine temperature could get on normal.

Now I don't understand, what it means 'to brake an inside cap'... Why? To increase the flow? If yes, why thermostat should be there at all?
Mine is externally linked to the Aux Fan so the fan starts working even before the actual temp sensor is activated, but this is a custom job and normal mechanics don't do it.
This statement you must more clearly explain. The thermostat is a mechanical device, bi-metal, which stretch its size with the changes of temperature. There is no electrical contact on this device. However at the place, where thermostat is mounted, it is usually mounted also temperature switch, which sometimes in parallel is showing the temperature on the dashboard and switching fans (with the help of car computer) or in some other cars there two independent devices, one analog (Pt100 sensor) showing the temperature on the dashboard and one temperature switch, switching the fans.
delta83
Advance
Advance

need to add this smiely :D